Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Patience in Thine Afflictions

Hi All!

This week was hard because it seemed like no one would open the door and our appointments kept falling through. But onward and upward right?! We did get one new investigator and I got to teach that lesson with a really cool returned missionary named Paige, who served in the Argentina Buenos Aires West mission! She got back two weeks ago! She is super sweet and has an amazing testimony of this gospel. 

In other news, the three of us have been sick off and on all week. Two days ago it was Sister Lucas, yesterday Sister Michia, and it looks like I'm next. It's making the rounds which really puts us out of commission if we don't have a member to go to lessons with one of us! But we press on!
 
Sister Lucas and I started Insanity: Max 30 yesterday. It is kicking my butt! It's super hard, but a really good workout. Gotta get that exercise in! Other than that nothing else new is really going on other than snow. Here is a picture we took the other day while it was snowing outside:




Precious right?!

Anyway, onto the spiritual thought of the week! 
This week I was studying Christlike attributes. Christ is our ultimate example of what Heavenly Father wants us to be like and what a better way to be like him than to follow in his footsteps? So, I was studying Faith and Patience this week; how they relate to each other, why they are important, and how to have them. 

In Preach My Gospel, the guide to missionary service, it says this about faith, "Faith leads to action, including repentance, obedience, and dedicated service. When you have faith in Jesus Christ, you trust the Lord enough to follow His commandments—even when you do not completely understand the reasons for them. You accomplish what the Lord wants you to accomplish."  I never really thought of that before. Faith is not just something that you have. It's something that you act upon. You have to show your faith by doing something. And when you have true faith you trust Christ and Heavenly Father and follow the pit commandments "even when you do not completely understand the reasons for them." Faith is not knowing everything and then acting. It's completely putting your trust in Heavenly Father knowing that He has a plan for us individually. That's where patience comes in. 

Preach My Gospel says, "Patience is the capacity to endure delay, trouble, opposition, or suffering without becoming angry, frustrated, or anxious. It is the ability to do God’s will and accept His timing. When you are patient, you hold up under pressure and are able to face adversity calmly and hopefully. Patience is related to hope and faith—you must wait for the Lord’s promised blessings to be fulfilled." This is something that I'm seriously working on. Heavenly Father truly has a plan for each of us and His timing is completely different than our timing. Anyone who knows me knows that I have always had a hard time with being patient! But I know I need to have faith in Heavenly Father and be patient with His timing because His timing is perfect. 

A scripture that I came across the other day when I was feeling really down about our lessons being cancelled was in The Book of Mormon. In Alma it says, "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." (Alma 26:27)
I really love that. Even when we are depressed or feeling like we're drowning in our afflictions we can find comfort in the Lord. He will "give unto us success" if we are patient and have faith in Him through our hard times. 

I am so grateful to be able to turn to my Heavenly Father and to Jesus Christ to find that comfort. As we become more like our Savior, we will be able to truly grow closer to Him and to Our Heavenly Father and truly feel Their love for us. I know that as we are patient and faithful to Their commandments, teachings, and plan for our lives we will see countless blessings come to us. 

I love you all and hope you continue to grow closer to your Father in Heaven everyday. I pray for you daily and know that God loves you! I can't wait to hear from you!

For regular mail:
720 S 200 W #2
Logan, UT 84321

For packages that won't fit into a regular mailbox:
179 E 800 N
Logan, UT 84321

Love Always,

Hermana Café 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment